Located in the Kosiw district south-southwest of Dauphin, MB, near the northern boundary of Riding Mountain National Park, the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Sts. Peter and Paul is a fine interpretation of a type of traditional church architecture found in Western Ukraine. Overlooking pastoral rolling farmland, the cruciform wooden church with its five, eight-sided, metal-covered banyas (onion domes), including the large two-tiered central dome that opens into the church below, has served area pioneers and their descendents since 1921. The figure of the arched sash windows is doubly replicated in the attractive entrance to the place. On the same sheltered grounds is a well constructed wooden belltower, typically separate from the church proper, housing two bells. Watch my one-minute video of the church.
12 MANITOBA CHURCHES
Sacred Heart of Jesus Ukrainian Catholic Church, Rossburn, MB
Every typical element of traditional onion-domed Catholic churches is here but modernized, either subtly or extremely. Square corner towers on the front elevation are given brick pilasters to contrast with the stucco and topped with a low drum on which a stubby octahedral dome is set.
The angles of the tower roofs are extended onto both levels of the spectacular façade. The jutting angular gables and heavy segmented blue-paned windows along with the towers create upward movement that sweeps heavenward past the crosses atop the domes.
The nave is rectangular with a low-pitched roof and a series of tall thick windows. The third dome at the rear replicates the other towers. Most traditional Catholic churches have a separate bell tower housed in a wooden tiered building. Here it is given an ultra modern feeling with the steel legs supporting a caged bell with Roman arches.
12 MANITOBA CHURCHES
St. Wolodimer (Vladimir) Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church, Oakburn, MB
This Greek Orthodox Church was built at the same time – 1947-48 – as the Ukrainian Catholic Church in Oakburn. Not to be outdone St Vlad’s has five octagonal onion domes or banyas painted in bright silver that shine like beacons in the sun.
The floor plan is cruciform with a chancel at the rear, this one topped with its own onion dome on a short cupola. Windows have arched tops, even the painted-on ones on the dome drums.
Designer and builder of this well-adorned church “in the Greek Byzantine style”, says local history book Ripples on the Lake, was John Mnoholitny who oversaw 35 volunteer workers.
The entry porch has some nice carved edgework and a bull’s eye window above it. There is a separate bell tower on the property.